Saturday, August 8, 2009

Aesop's Fables and me

Bird experiment shows Aesop's fable may be true....I went through this Yahoo! news headlines and it brought me back to my younger years, reading my first Aesop's Fables book ; a gift from my sister when I was 11.
Aesop (from the Greek Αἴσωπος — Aisopos), famous for his fables, was a slave who lived mid-fifth century BC, in Ancient Greece.

I reminisce reading Aesop's Fables as one of my favourite books when I was a kid. So I was interested when I read the new study by British researchers that verifies the scenario in The Crow and the Pitcher. It's a tale of a thirsty crow finds a pitcher, but can't reach the water at the bottom. So it drops stones into the pitcher, gradually raising the water level. The moral: Necessity is the mother of invention. (Or, Little by little does the trick.)

I believe that kids still can read Aesop's Fables today because the tales remain relevant. To me, I still remember reading each story and taking in what they meant, remembering their morals that was illustrated with one line underneath the picture:
Moral: _______


Aesop's Fables brings me back to the lovely memories and curiosity of my childhood.It's just simply amazing!

No comments: